You are here
LOS ANGELES — Consumer packaged goods (CPG) brands are turning up the flavor and consumers are giving the move a collective thumbs-up.
According to the April 2015 Shelf Score from market researcher Instantly, CPG companies are responding to consumers' growing interest in ethnic foods. Notably, new products with the highest purchase intent scores for the month included: Sweet & Spicy Chipotle Wheat Thins, Doritos Salsa Verde, Oscar Mayer Southwest Style Chipotle Dogs and Wasabi & Soy Sauce Pringles.
In addition, as millennials in particular continue to influence product innovation, CPG brands are putting new twists on traditional products in an effort to stay relevant. Other new items with high purchase intent scores were Goldfish Grahams Honey and Cotton Candy Oreos.
Overall, the top new CPG products for April were:
- Cheez-It Groves: Original Cheddar (75 percent)
- Goldfish Grahams Honey (70 percent)
- Clif Bar Nuts & Seeds (61 percent)
- Sweet & Spicy Chipotle Wheat Thins (57 percent)
- Lunchables With 100-Percent Juice: Turkey & Cheddar Sub Sandwich (55 percent)
- Doritos Salsa Verde (54 percent)
- Oscar Mayer Southwest Style Chipotle Dogs (51 percent)
- Canada Dry Blackberry Ginger Ale (51 percent)
- Cotton Candy Oreos (49 percent)
- Pringles: Wasabi and Soy Sauce (41 percent)
The Shelf Score ranks the top 10 new CPG products on supermarket and convenience store shelves by consumer intent to purchase. To determine each score, 300 consumers evaluate each new product on their mobile devices at home or in-store via the Instantly Concept Test platform, which collects feedback on key success indicators such as purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.
Instantly is a Los Angeles-based market research firm.