Both Genders Now Equal in Doing the Grocery Shopping

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — The grocery shopping gender gap has narrowed, with men now heading to the grocery store in nearly equal measure as women.

The latest Grocery Shopper Impact MegaStudy from VideoMining, a State College-based provider of in-store behavior and analytics solutions, shows that women account for about 51 percent of shoppers, while men make up the remaining 49 percent. 

When men head to the store, however, they’re spending less than their female counterparts. Women, on average, spend $2.73 more per trip.

Aside from the narrowing gender gap, there are other changes in grocery shopping patterns across the country. Since 2012, there’s been an 8-percent growth in shoppers who conscientiously avoid center-store shopping, opting to stick to items in the perimeter departments — from 12 percent to 20 percent. 

Furthermore, shoppers are picking up fewer items per trip. The Grocery Shopper Impact MegaStudy indicates that 68 percent of trips result in the purchase of 10 items or less.

The shift in shopper demographics, uptick of perimeter-only shopping, and decrease in items purchased per trip means that brands, more than ever, will have to seek out merchandising solutions and hone in on targeted marketing messages, VideoMining stated. 

Click here to read more from Convenience Store News sister publication Progressive Grocer.