You are here
DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Walgreens opened its 8,000th store and its first West Coast flagship location on Saturday, Dec. 1. The new store, located at the iconic corner of Sunset and Ven in Los Angeles, features an extensive collections of innovative offerings, products and services unexpected from a drugstore, the company stated.
"We are thrilled to locate our milestone 8,000th store and latest flagship store at such a famous intersection as we bring a format unlike any traditional drugstore to the Hollywood community," said Joe Magnacca, Walgreens president of daily living products and solutions. "Walgreens aims to be America's first choice for health and daily living, and we look forward to providing an exceptional experience for our customers as we help them get, stay and live well."
During the 9 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony, Walgreens acknowledged World AIDS Day and the company's involvement in treating and preventing HIV/AIDS by presenting a $10,000 donation to Charles Drew University in recognition of its HIV-related programming and outreach, according to the announcement.
"I'm very proud that Walgreens has chosen Los Angeles for its milestone 8,000th store, and is providing Hollywood residents with more access to pharmacy, health and wellness services," said Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. "This flagship location brings not only a unique retail offering to this community, but also additional jobs and economic investment that help build a vibrant neighborhood."
The flagship store's expanded features include:
- A LOOK Boutique beauty department that has dozens of prestige and niche cosmetic, skincare and hair care brands not typically found in drugstores, including Britain's leading skincare brand, No7, created by Boots, available at Walgreens for the first time. Specially-trained beauty advisors will be on hand to offer guidance, and shaping and grooming services are available at the Eyebrow Bar.
- An enhanced, state-of-the-art pharmacy designed to encourage greater interaction between pharmacists and patients. It has an "Ask Your Pharmacist" desk, consultation rooms and Express Rx kiosks for swift checkout.
- A wide variety of fresh, hand-rolled sushi and sashimi, prepared daily.
- An Upmarket Café offering barista-prepared fresh brewed premium coffee, espressos, and iced and frozen options.
- A juice and smoothie bar featuring fresh fruits and vegetables. Customers can also enjoy eight flavors of self-serve frozen yogurt accompanied by an enticing toppings bar.
- Hundreds of fresh food items including produce and high-quality, on-the-go meal options such as wraps, sandwiches and salads made fresh daily.
- A best-in-class wine selection with more than 700 wines that pair with the store's assortment of artisan and brie cheeses, along with specialty meats, decadent chocolates and more. A Beverage Wizard kiosk provides food and beverage pairing recommendations.
- A Coca-Cola Freestyle machine that dispenses 130 varieties of Coca Cola fountain drinks.
The store will be open for 24 hours a day, with pharmacy hours from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Saturdays and 10 a. m. until 6 p.m. Sundays.