You are here
WHITEHOUSE STATION, N.J. -- Quick Chek, which bills itself as the premiere coffee provider for New Jersey and the New York metro area, recently conducted research in advance of launching its interactive coffee microsite, ilovemycoffee.com.
That effort yielded the following Top 10 coffee facts and trends:
- The average coffee drinker in America drinks 3.2 cups of coffee per day.
- One out of every three Quick Chek customers buys a cup of coffee -- nearly 40 percent of those cups are medium size (16 ounces); a very close second is the 20-ounce size.
- Coffee is one of the world's most valuable commodities, second only behind oil. More than 100 million people in developing countries depend on coffee as their main source of income, particularly in Africa and Central America.
- Coffee is the world's most popular beverage, excluding water. About 1.4 billion cups a day are consumed worldwide.
- The Boston Tea Party of 1773 convened in a coffeehouse. The heavy tea tax had prompted Americans to switch to coffee as an expression of freedom.
- Fifty-two percent of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee every morning. Thirty percent of the population drinks coffee occasionally. That means over 80 percent of Americans consume coffee.
- Coffee consumption in the United States remains at the eighth highest level in the world.
- Quick Chek customers overwhelmingly prefer to add Quick Chek light cream and half-and-half to their cups of coffee. As flavors go, French Vanilla Creamer claims the top spot.
- Thirty-five percent of coffee drinkers prefer their coffee black.
- Quick Chek's proprietary guaranteed fresh regular blend is the overwhelming favorite among the chain's coffee drinkers. Columbian coffee is the favorite specialty coffee for Quick Chek customers. Hazelnut is the favorite flavored coffee.
As previously reported by CSNews Online, Quick Chek launched the coffee microsite Jan. 3. Users can create their favorite coffee concoction for the chance to win a year's worth of free coffee and have their face and recipe featured on the c-store retailer's coffee cups. The contest ends March 20. Users can also share their coffee recipes via a Facebook link.