GREENSBORO, N.C. and SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Gilbarco Veeder-Root and VeriFone Systems Inc. are partnering to offer "next-generation" forecourt payment solutions and to create the largest at-pump, interactive digital media network worldwide.
The companies announced Wednesday they will collaborate on future fuel-dispenser payment platforms, to be developed and supplied by VeriFone. They will also offer at-pump media advertising and entertainment. Outcast Media, Gilbarco's forecourt media business, and Applause TV, Gilbarco's gas station TV network, will be merged with VeriFone's digital media and VeriFone Digital Network businesses.
Under the terms of the deal, Gilbarco will become the software and solutions integration lead, as well as the sales and service provider for forecourt payment systems developed under the partnership. Both companies will work together to transition the payment electronics in Gilbarco’s global dispenser product lines to VeriFone technology. However, they will each continue to develop and market their point-of-sale systems for the petroleum and convenience store market independently.
“VeriFone’s partnership with Gilbarco, the world’s leading dispenser technology provider, is perfectly aligned with our terminal solutions and commerce enablement strategies and will allow us to offer the best payment and forecourt media solutions on the market to our clients around the globe,” said Paul Galant, CEO of VeriFone. “Our collective expertise and access to consumer insights provide significant business value to our clients, helping them increase sales at the pump and in-store.”
In a joint press release, the technology companies said the partnership will provide many benefits for convenience and fuel retailers. These include:
- Collaboration among two industry leaders to deliver a comprehensive pump, media and payment offering, providing a richer platform to meet increasingly complex payment technology needs;
- Joint expertise that ensures ongoing compliance with Europay, MasterCard and Visa (EMV), appealing to security-conscious consumers;
- A combined offering from Gilbarco and VeriFone that simplifies the EMV upgrade process through access to upgraded offerings across dispenser platforms, and delivers convenience and best-in-class security to businesses and consumers;
- Future-proof technology and reliable solutions capable of enabling mobile payments, digital loyalty and more, and backed by the industry-leading service and support network;
- Higher levels of engagement and new forms of media and technology to grow c-store sales and enhance a consumer’s experience while fueling, through better content relationships; and
- A platform that will soon enable "smart targeting" based on location and consumer preferences.
“Gilbarco’s leadership in the convenience and petroleum vertical and VeriFone’s expertise in secure payments and media engagement make this an ideal relationship,” said Martin Gafinowitz, president of Gilbarco Veeder-Root. “Gilbarco has the largest installed base of outdoor payment systems in our industry, and combining our deep knowledge of systems and software integration with VeriFone’s broad payment expertise will greatly benefit our customers.”
Greensboro-based Gilbarco Veeder-Root provides a broad range of integrated solutions, from the forecourt to the convenience store and head office.
San Jose-based VeriFone Inc. provides secure electronic payment solutions and other technologies for retailers.