You are here
GLENDALE, Ariz. — Sunday's Super Bowl XLIX will not just be a big event for the New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks. The game will also mark a huge day for many convenience store industry suppliers.
According to the National Retail Federation, 184 million viewers in the United States are expected to watch the game, taking place at 6:30 p.m. at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, and airing on NBC.
Many c-store suppliers are airing commercials and running promotions centered around the big game. Here is a rundown of a few of these efforts:
- Anheuser-Busch will follow up its popular "Puppy Love" ad from 2014 with "Lost Dog," an emotional spot where the Budweiser Clydesdales help a puppy learn the true meaning of friendship by reminding viewers that #BestBuds always have your back.
- BIC Consumer Products USA will introduce special-edition Super Bowl XLIX Champion Series Lighters. The product, to be available in February, is a series of six designs that feature textured and holographic foil and the logo of the winning team.
- Mars Chocolate North America will air a 30-second commercial during the first quarter of the game, which centers around the classic TV show The Brady Bunch. The ad recreates Marcia Brady's famous hair brushing scene, starring action movie star Danny Trejo as a gruff, hostile version of Marcia who doesn't resemble the girl next door when she's hungry. The commercial is the latest installment in the Snickers "You're Not You When You're Hungry" ad campaign.
- Mars Chocolate also launched an instant-win sweepstakes whereby consumers who purchase Snickers bar singles and other Mars Chocolate singles from Super Bowl-themed displays, text Snickers or enter on Facebook can instantly win one of more than 100,000 prizes. One grand-prize winner will win a trip to next year's Super Bowl to be played at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.
- Newcastle Brown Ale is bringing together 37 sponsor companies across all industries to create a groundbreaking "Band of Brands" 30-second commercial. The 37 companies include Beanitos Chips, Hunt's Tomatoes, Krave Jerky, McClure's Pickles, Mr Cheese O's, Quinn Popcorn, Rosarita Beans, Tessemae's All-Natural Dressings and The Ross Farm. "Our goal here is to make history and sell great beer," said Priscilla Flores Dohnert, brand director for Newcastle Brown Ale. "We weren't going to let our tiny budget stand in the way of taking home the big game glory for the second year in a row."
- PepsiCo Inc.'s Frito-Lay division launched the "Crash the Super Bowl" contest for its Doritos brand. Two finalist ads will air during the Super Bowl XLIX broadcast, one selected by fan votes and one by the Doritos brand. The creator of the ad that receives the most fan votes will receive a guaranteed $1-million grand prize and the chance to work as a contractor for a full year onsite at Universal Pictures in Hollywood, where they will lend their talent to a variety of projects and future Universal releases.