You are here
WAWA, Pa. -- Wawa has recognized two citizens for their heroism with the Wawa's Safety Leadership Award. This marks the first time that the chain has given the award to non-employees, reported the Reading Eagle.
Manuel B. Tejeder and Asad A. Abdullah were given the award for acting quickly when a roof fire threatened a Wawa in Mehlenberg Township, Pa. the report stated.
The Reading Eagle reported that on July 12, Abdullah approached the store on his way home from work when he noticed light on the roof of the store. As he approached, he realized it was a fire and warned employees and patrons to evacuate. Then he called 911 on his cell phone.
Tejeder was outside when he heard the warning, and decided to climb to the top of the store and use a fire extinguisher that was handed to him. He successfully used safety training he obtained from his job to put out the fire before firefighters arrived, the report stated.
The men were presented with $500 gift certificates and numerous coupons for free iced tea and other products.
Wawa safety director Hal Sutton told the Reading Eagle that "they prevented what could have been a catastrophe."
"These two are incredible," added Wawa's CEO Howard Stoeckel at the award ceremony.
According to Stoeckel, the fire was caused by electrical problems. Joan Miller, customer service manager for the store, said that quick action lead to little damage, and ensured that the store reopened an hour later. No one was hurt, the report stated.