You are here
JERSEY CITY, N.J. — 2016 was a bustling year for the supplier side of the convenience channel. Not only did the retail side of the equation continue to see merger-and-acquisition activity, but the supplier side felt rumbles of its own.
Among the biggest supplier buzz was the long-awaited closing of the Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller plc merger. The acquisition was first announced in 2015 and went through a nearly year-long review process.
The tobacco landscape was also taken for spin when British American Tobacco plc made an offer to acquire Reynolds American Inc. for $47 billion.
These are the top 10 supplier headlines of the year, as reported by CSNews Online:
1. Anheuser-Busch InBev & SABMiller Complete Merger
Growth opportunities lie in developing markets.
2. BAT Makes $47B Bid for 100% RAI Ownership
Deal would create a global tobacco and next-gen company.
3. Mondelēz Makes $23B Takeover Offer to Hershey
Chocolate maker's board rejects the bid.
4. Molson Coors' Acquisition of MillerCoors Is Done Deal
Takes full ownership of former joint venture with SABMiller.
5. Tobacco Cos. Follow Suit With Cigarette Price Increases
RAI, ITG Brands and Liggett Vector take hikes.
6. Convenience Wholesalers Stage a Comeback Performance
Annual CSNews Top Wholesalers report highlights sales turnaround.
7. Monster to Acquire American Fruits & Flavors
The deal brings its primary flavor supplier, long-time business partner in-house.
8. Eby-Brown to Acquire Fellow Distributor Liberty USA
The deal extends its reach into the Northeast.
9. C-store Suppliers Begin to Embrace GMO Labeling
Companies act in advance of Vermont's labeling standard implementation.
10. McLane Presents ‘Profit Playbook’ at National Trade Show
Event focuses on efficiency and simplicity for its retailer partners.