You are here
JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Marketing continues to play a key role in how convenience stores attract new customers and keep existing ones coming through the door.
In 2014, loyalty was the name of the game, including tried-and-true methods such as rewards cards, fuel discounts and new digital approaches. Some retailers like Royal Farms, CHS Inc. and United Family made a name for themselves with naming rights at sports arenas, while others carried on their increasingly popular partnerships with racing events across the country.
Two popular c-store chains even took their marketing moves to new heights, as QuickChek Corp. returned as the title sponsor of the annual New Jersey Festival of Ballooning for the 22nd consecutive year and Wawa Inc. returned as the title sponsor of the Wawa Welcome America! Festival.
These are the top 10 marketing moves of 2014, as reported by CSNews Online:
1. Thorntons Takes Fresh Approach to Rewards
Chainwide program is based on visits, not points.
2. Marathon Unveils Gas Discount Program
Marketers will be able to offer instant savings at the pump.
3. 'ROOservations' Begin for Kangaroo Express' 2014 Roo Cup
Customers get an extra week of summer by registering via Facebook or mobile app.
4. Gulf Introduces Pink Ribbon Gift Card
Fundraising effort will generate up to $25,000 annually.
5. Speedway Launches Speedy Rewards Credit Card
One-swipe technology combines pay, rewards in one.
6. Beyonce '7/11' Video Is Boost for C-store Chain
The singer posted a picture of herself drinking a Slurpee.
7. MAPCO Implements Impulse Upselling Platform
Gilbarco solution will be in 220 locations by end of year.
8. Rutter's Unveils VIP Club
Members have access to new food ordering technology.
9. Sunoco’s Free Fuel 5000 Contest Celebrates 10th Year
Ten winners have received the $5K grand prize.
To see our full Year in Review series, including the most-read stories of 2014, click here.