Quick Stats

Quick Stats

    You are here

    Fire Destroys a Pilot Travel Center

    Damage estimated at $1 million; it is unknown if building will reopen.

    LENWOOD, Calif. -- An early morning fire last week at a Pilot Travel Center here gutted the facility and caused an estimated $1 million in damages, reported Desert Dispatch.

    The fire -- which started just after midnight -- was caused by a clothing dryer on the west side of the store, the report stated. The total damage estimate includes damage to the property and items lost in the fire. The facility can be rebuilt, according to Barstow Fire Protection division chief Sal Corrao.

    "There was a lot of smoke, so it was difficult to find the seed of the fire," he told the newspaper.

    Firefighters from the Barstow district, the San Bernardino County Fire Department and the Marine Corps Logistics Base Fire Department battled the blaze until 2 a.m. Thursday, according to the report.
    There was no worry about the fire spreading to the nearby gas pumps and gas lines, added Corrao.

    The station is currently closed and the gasoline was removed from the tanks due to damage to the monitoring equipment, the report stated. A construction inspector will assess the building, but it is too early to determine whether the company will reopen the store, a company spokesman told the paper.

    • About

    Related Content

    Related Content