Quick Stats

Quick Stats

    You are here

    Clark Suspends Kerosene Sales

    Driver error led to three rural house fires

    LINCOLN, Ill. - Gasoline was placed this week in a kerosene storage tank by mistake at a Lincoln, Ill., convenience store owned by Clark Retail Enterprises Inc., possibly leading to three area house fires.

    All sales of kerosene were suspended at the giant midwestern chain on Tuesday after vice president of marketing John Matthews issued a consumer alert regarding the problem. Lincoln firefighters had reported fires caused by bursting kerosene heaters.

    Sales resumed once the problem was isolated to the Lincoln store. Fire inspectors and Clark representatives are currently awaiting contamination test results.

    Investigators believe a gasoline tanker truck driver filled the wrong tank at the Lincoln store, said Bill Alderson of the Illinois Fire Marshal's Office. Clark is not suspected of violating any state regulations.

    • About

    Related Content

    Related Content