You are here
HOUSTON -- CITGO Petroleum Corp., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Petróleos de Venezuela, S. A. (PDVSA), officially transferred control of Petty’s Island to the state of New Jersey, for the creation of an ecological, cultural and historical preserve, highlighting the commitment of the Venezuelan people to environmental protection and stronger bonds of friendship between the peoples of Venezuela and the United States, according to a statement by the company.
The preserve project is being carried out in cooperation with the government of New Jersey, the government of the Township of Pennsauken, as well as several environmental and social groups committed to sustainable community development in the area, the company stated.
"This donation highlights the commitment of the people of Venezuela, under the leadership of President Hugo Chávez, to environmental conservation and the well-being of the peoples of the world," CITGO Chairman, President and CEO Alejandro Granado said in a statement. "With no doubt, this is a significant contribution to efforts to achieve a better world. Moreover, we are pleased to be able to conclude this effort within the framework of Earth Day celebrations."
The 529-acre island is located on the Delaware River, near Philadelphia, and was home to the Lenni-Lenape Native American tribe. Cities Service, which became CITGO in 1983, acquired Crew Levick Co. and its Petty’s Island refinery in 1916, according to the company. Use of the island for refining and hydrocarbons storage operations concluded in 2001 and following that, CITGO carried out environmental projects in the area.
CITGO, with the support of PDVSA and the social development principles of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, worked in cooperation with the local authorities, environmental and community groups to allow the island to be used as an ecological preserve.
-- CITGO Corpus Christi Refinery Wins OSPRA Award