You are here
Want to sell more perishable grocery items? Here is a compilation of quick tips from industry players who have found success in fresh foods:
• Go for high-quality fresh product backed by a solid brand name the customer recognizes (Dole, Chiquita, etc.)
• Take advantage of any local produce and sign it as such.
• Use suggestive selling so customers know you have these items.
• Consider pump toppers offering free samples of salads, fruits or other items with a minimum gas purchase.
• Consider pump toppers with promotional pricing or bundling with fill-ups or minimum gas purchases.
• Don't forget to merchandise with colorful, eye-appealing presentations like what customers are used to in supermarkets.
• Treat your evening customers to the same fresh variety your morning customers enjoy.
• Advertise staple items on a monthly basis; promote seasonal items as they are available.
• Use cross-selling such as strawberries with whipped cream or bananas with pints of ice cream.
• Make up different baskets of apples, bananas, lemons, limes and whatever produce is eye-appealing, and put them at the checkout counter for impulse purchases. For variety, change up the baskets daily or weekly with a "fruit of the day" or "vegetable of the week."
To learn more on how forward-thinking convenience store retailers are navigating the ups and downs of merchandising perishable groceries in their stores, click here.