Quick Stats

Quick Stats

    You are here

    40 YEARS OF CONVENIENCE RETAILING: 1974-1978

    Through the pages of Convenience Store News.

    1974

    The Numbers:
    The CSNews Industry Report reveals that 79 percent of the 24,516 stores in the c-store industry were company-owned. The remaining 21 percent were franchised.

    Weekly sales per store: $4,313, according to the CSNews Industry Report.

    Retailer Expansion:
    Sunshine-Jr. Stores celebrated the opening of its 200th Jr. Food Store.

    1975

    Product Trends:
    The average c-store carried 72 different dairy items, from a low of 54 in the Southeast to a high of 81 in the Northeast.

    Retailer Expansion:
    Mickey Channel, owner of five-unit Corner Pantry Food Mart, tells CSNews small towns offer large opportunities for c-store growth.

    1976

    Store Innovation:
    Fast Fare Inc. opened its "store of the future" in Robersonville, N.C. The store offered parking for 30 cars. Interior walls and fixtures were dark gray to promote product visibility. Steel support beams were visible and painted orange to give the store an "open appearance."

    A Majik Market c-store in Atlanta reportedly become first industry store to install an electronic banking facility. The following year, Wawa installed electronic banking terminals in a number of its stores.

    1977

    Retailer Expansion:
    Open Pantry of New England opened its ninth store.

    Mergers & Acquisitions:
    Fast Fare Inc. purchased 46 Quick Way Food Stores in Anderson, S.C.

    Cumberland Farms acquired 82 CITGO service stations for more than $4 million.

    1978

    The Numbers:
    More than 30,000 c-stores in the U.S. accounted for more than 5 percent of all food purchases.

    People in the News:
    Robert G. Robertson was promoted to president of the White Hen Pantry division of Jewel Cos.

    Mergers & Acquisitions:
    Planned merger between Circle K and National Convenience Stores is called off.

    • About

    Related Content

    Related Content